Monday, December 8, 2014

Gender Roles can Suck It!

There is no such thing as boy and girl colors, toys, or activities.

The only real difference between boys and girls is genitalia and that is able to be changed.

 
What brings this up is; I have discussed in an earlier blog my kiddo loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  He recently did really good at school and won a prize. I got him an Apple Jacks plush so he had one to play ponies with his cousin.  The poor guy can't play with other boys because he is super strong and hurts kids.  He hangs out with girls quite well.  I encourage this because everyone needs a friend.  He me last night if he could take Apple Jacks in his bag like he had been Mickey.  I told him yes but if you do please remember kids will probably say mean things to you.  You don’t listen, you are an amazing kid who I love dearly.  They are mean because they don’t know you and are maybe too young to understand.  There is no such thing as boy or girl stuff.  It’s all just stuff, if it makes you happy then that is good. 
I think that if you are a parent that it shouldn’t matter to you if your boy wants a doll or a pink toy.  It shouldn’t matter if your girl wants an action figure or blue toy.  If it makes them happy, why make them feel bad about their choice.  I am offering to sign Johnny up for football in the summer, if he were to choose dance or gymnastics, which would be fine as well.  If my niece wants to play football with him that would be really cool but again it is her choice.  My point is don’t push gender roles on your children.  They are who they are and you love them regardless.  Coming from someone who struggled with this all my life, it hurt me a lot being told no because “It’s for boys”. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment